Tuesday, July 15, 2008

To Fish or not to Fish...








I had an amazing idea one day, it was to take the family fishing. We found out when Utah's free fish day was and off we went. We left around 10:00 a.m., our first stop was walmart where we bought Swayz her first fishing poll. She was so excited, she got to pick her poll out all by herself. It was the right size and it even had Dora the Explorer on it. Then we had to get bait and a few other things we were missing. We made it up AF canyon around 12:00. I had high expectations (this was my first mistake) I was sure that Michael would love sitting in his stroller watching us fish and that Swayz would think this was the coolest thing ever and want to stay for a couple of hours. We set up our little fishing area with chairs and a cooler and wouldn't you know, Michael wanted out of his stroller. I took him out and within seconds he was headed for the water. Mistake number two, thinking a stroller would contain a 1 year old. It took about 30 min. to get Mikey under control and now we were helping Swayz get her new poll ready to fish. Shane handed me a poll and told me to cast it out into the water. No problem, I have done this before. I pushed the line down, pulled down a little lever and swung the poll. I waited to see the hook hit the water, it must be really far out there because it hadn't hit yet. As a couple of seconds passed I realized there was a problem. Mistake number three, I don't know how to cast a fishing poll!! Shane came over and we both looked up. In the branches of the beautiful tree above us was my wonderful fishing line. It was stuck and Shane wasn't too happy. About 30 min. later we were again ready to cast out and catch a fish. Shane helped Swayz cast her fishing poll out and handed it to her. Then he did mine. By the time mine was cast into the water Swayz had reeled hers in again. Mistake number four, Swayz wasn't interested in fishing, just casting her poll and reeling it in again. About 5 min later Swayz was done fishing and ready to leave. Just to give you a little recap we spent all of 1 hour fishing- well trying to fish. 55 min. were spent getting everything ready and 5 min. spent with our polls actually in the water. Although things didn't turn out they way I was hoping we loved it and had a great time. No, we wont be back for a few years but at least we can say we tried!!

1 comments:

Em Russ said...

ok you are totally brave! I am totally surprised that YOU would get your fishing line stuck in a tree though. you NEVER get stuck anywhere... miss you.